Back to Primary School checklist
As a new school term approaches parents will need to prepare their kids for the challenges ahead and the changes in their routine. This means that nothing is more important than a well-planned checklist that takes into account your child's needs. The checklist should be broad enough in scope to cover everything from your child's health needs to their school supplies. The checklist should also help to establish a routine that gets them the rest they need to focus on their school work. Success in primary school is about preparation and motivation. The right checklist will help with both.
Sharing is caring
- Schedule dental checkups: Along with an annual health exam and immunisations, oral hygiene is an important factor that often goes overlooked. In fact, nearly 51 million school hours are lost by pupils annually because of dental issues.
- Ensure your child knows the most important information: This is the perfect time to make sure your child knows the details of their home address, and a good telephone number for you in case an emergency arises or they ever become lost. Also important, and to keep them as safe as possible, is ensuring your child knows who it's okay to share that sensitive information with (hint: close family members and authorities are generally acceptable).
- Shop early for school supplies: To avoid the back-to-school crowds and risk of stores running out of the supplies your child needs, visit a stationery or office supply store approximately 1-2 weeks before the first day of school. These types of stores make it easy to find all the supplies your child will need for school in one location.
- Re-establish Nightly Routines: During holiday breaks, children are often allowed to stay up later at night or sleep later in the mornings. Studies have shown that irregular or reduced sleep patterns can negatively impact a person's ability to consolidate new memories, which means, children with poor sleeping habits tend to forget what they are taught in their lessons more rapidly. To best help them re-acclimate to a school schedule, begin re-establishing their structured sleeping schedule at least one week prior to school starting.
- Pack and stage school bags by the front door: To eliminate a morning scramble to find and gather everything they need for the school day, have your child pack their backpacks and school bags the night before. Not only does this teach your youngster how to be responsible and organised, but it also allows them more time to enjoy their mornings, eat a healthy breakfast, or partake of a little more sleep.
For some children, returning to school is an exciting event. For others, it can be scary. Taking measures early to prepare your child for the big day makes the shift from leisure to study easier for everyone. We hope our tips and "Back to School Checklist Infographic" will help to provide a smooth return to the classroom for you and your child.